Saint-Jacques in Carthage celebrates its 200 years | Jefferson County
CARTHAGE – Parishioners at St. James Catholic Church had twice as much reason to celebrate Sunday as another segment of its 200th anniversary was celebrated and Reverend Todd E. Thibault was installed as pastor.
Bishop Terry R. LaValley, Roman Catholic Diocese of Ogdensburg, celebrated Mass with the new pastor and carried out the installation order.
Members of the Cosmic Council 291 of the Knights of Columbus in Carthage took part in the procession entering and leaving the church for mass.
In his homily, the bishop quoted Theodore Roosevelt: “Merit belongs to the man who is really in the arena, whose face is marred by dust, sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who is wrong, who fails again and again, for there is no effort without error and without failure; but who really strives to do the deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a good cause; who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at worst, if he fails, at least fails by daring greatly, so that his place is never with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. “
The bishop credited ward members who help the diocese strengthen faith training, Knights of Columbus members, those who tend flowers on church grounds, choir members, altar servers, the parish council and all parishioners for their support of the Church throughout its history.
The Augustinian Academy also received praise from the bishop for its “quality Catholic education”.
“This is a rich heritage that you have inherited,” he told the congregation.
He called for a renewal of the faith and, on the occasion of the 200th anniversary of the church, exhorted this “family of faith to live and to continue living the Catholic faith”.
During his installation, Father Thibault pledged to serve the parishes of Sainte-Marie and Saint-Jacques and the bishop urged him to work with the church councils for the procreation of the faith.
Father Thibault, former pastor of St. Bernard’s and St. Edmund’s parishes in St. Lawrence County, replaces Reverend Donald A. Robinson, who was transferred to the parishes of Brownville, Dexter and Sackets Harbor.
Father Thibault had been pastor at Ellenburg Center and Lyon Mountain since 2019 and served as community administrator from 2017. Prior to these assignments, he served as parish vicar at St. Mary’s in Canton. Father Thibault was ordained on October 8, 2016. In a word of welcome to Father Thibault in the Saint-Jacques et Sainte-Marie bulletin, he declared, then a seminarian, a native of Colchester. Vt., Was assigned to St. James under the mentorship of the late Father George Maroun to familiarize himself with the Diocese of Ogdensburg.
As one of the oldest churches in the state, St. James chose to have a one-year commemoration of its 200th anniversary instead of having a big celebration.
The parish organized monthly events to commemorate the 200th anniversary with a wedding celebration in February, a parish “Dare to be holy” Lent mission in March and the celebration of the children of Santiago in April with special events at the Augustinian Academy. In May, the parish had a special mass followed by a reception in honor of the Sisters of Saint Joseph and the Augustinian brothers. Both groups served the parish and the Académie des Augustins for years. Trees were planted on the church lawn in honor of the two groups.
In July, a collection of parishioners’ recipes – “Taste of St. James Cookbook” – was published. Copies are always available at the parish secretariat. A parish picnic was held in August as part of the 200th anniversary.
In January, there was supposed to be a New Years Eve dinner, but due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, this event has been postponed and is scheduled for December 31. The St. James Fair, which was to be June’s 200th anniversary celebration, was also canceled.
According to Joseph Margrey, chairman of the anniversary committee, the idea for the 200th anniversary celebration came from the church’s former pastor, Reverend Robinson.
St. James Catholic Church was the third parish founded in the state in 1785. James D. LeRay de Chaumont donated land on July 7, 1818 to erect a church whose title was transferred to trustees in 1821. The Society of St. James Carthage Church was incorporated on September 25, 1825 into the Diocese of Albany.
In addition to the monthly celebrations, St. James Parishioner Michael Sligar has updated a brochure on the art that abounds in the church – “Symbols, Painting, Statues and Signs within Saint James Catholic Church”. Copies of the brochure are available from the presbytery of the church.
The parish also compiles a parish history from 1977 and seeks information or images from parish organizations. Articles can be dropped off at the Parish Rectory, 327 West St. or emailed to Todd Norrgard at [email protected] with the subject line, “info for parish history”.
Next events to conclude the celebration:
m Harvest celebration: after mass from 10 a.m. until October 24 at 2:30 p.m., in the gymnasium of the Académie des Augustins, apple baking contest, free hot dogs, activities for children
m Free Roast Pork Dinner: November 6
m Festival of trees of Saint-Jacques: which will take place in December in the gymnasium of the Académie des Augustins
m New Year celebration: postponed from last year
More information on upcoming events will be available as the dates approach.